The Lipoprotein(a) Foundation ("we” or "us”) is committed to protecting any personal information that you provide to us through this web site (the "Site”). We believe it is important for you to know how we protect your personal information to deliver you the best user experience possible.
The Site contains links to other web sites. Once you enter another web site (whether through an advertisement, service, or content link), be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of these other sites. We encourage you to look for and review the privacy statements of each and every web site that you visit through a link or advertisement on the Site.
Information We Collect
We collect two types of information about you when you visit our Site: personally identifiable information and non-personal, aggregate information, such as your IP address and information regarding the pages on our Site that you have visited.
Personally Identifiable Information "Personally Identifiable Information” is information that identifies you personally, such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, or company name. We collect and store the personal information that you provide to us. Here are some examples of the ways in which we may collect your personal information on the Site:·
- When you register on the Site, you will be required to give some personal information to generate your account, such as your first and last name and email address.·
- If you visit the Site, whether or not you register, we may collect personal health information from you in addition to your first and last name, date of birth and email address.·
- We may collect your email address, first and last name, mailing address and zip code if you register for an event on the Site.·
- We may collect limited health information when you provide us with such data.·
- We may collect your email address if you sign up for an online newsletter or contact us with a question.
The above list provides examples of the personal information that may be collected by us. From time to time, we may collect personal information from you in other ways that are not described above. If you do not want us to collect your personal information, please do not provide it to us. You are responsible for ensuring the accuracy of the personally identifiable information that you submit to us. Inaccurate information will affect our ability to contact you and the information you receive when using our Site and tools.
Non-Personally Identifiable Information
"Non-Personally Identifiable Information” can be technical information or it can be demographic information, such as your age, gender or your interests. Even if you do not register on the Site, we collect non-personally identifiable information about your use of the Site. Non-personally identifiable information does NOT identify you personally. For example, we may conduct research on our users’ demographics, interests, and behavior based on the information provided to us upon registration, during a promotion, from our server log files, or from surveys. We do this to better understand and serve you. This research is compiled and analyzed on an aggregated basis.
We also may collect non-personally identifiable information from you in order to customize your experience, fulfill your requests for information, and improve our services. For example, we utilize cookies on the Site and in e-mails. Every computer that accesses the Site is assigned a different cookie by us. Cookies store tracking codes to enable our system to locate information from past visits to the Site, but do not contain information that identifies you personally. The information collected by cookies helps us dynamically generate advertising and content on web pages or in newsletters and allows us to statistically monitor how many people are using the Site and the sites of selected sponsors and advertisers. We may use cookie information to target certain advertisements to your browser or to determine the popularity of certain content or advertisements. Cookies are also used to facilitate a user’s log-in, as navigation aids and as session timers.
We may provide this non-personally identifiable information to third parties. For example, we might inform third parties about the number of users of our Site and the activities they conduct while on the Site. We also may provide trusted partners with general information regarding our users and visitors.
Finally, we may combine any public information you provide in any of the public areas on the Site with non-personally identifiable information to create aggregate data. This information may also be disclosed to third parties. Aggregate data does not contain any information that could be used to contact you or identify you personally.
Use and Disclosure of Personally Identifiable and Non-Personally Identifiable Information
Personally Identifiable Information
We may share or disclose your personal information in the following instances: ·
- To fulfill a service to you. For example, if you visit the Site during a screening event at a health fair, we may have to share your information with our partners in order to fulfill a service to you. We also may use your personally identifiable information to contact you about products or services that we believe may be of interest to you. In addition, if you sign up for an event on the Site, we may have to use and share your information with others involved in the event. Finally, we may also use your personally identifiable information to send you newsletters, if requested by you. ·
- To use certain interactive content, tools and services on the Site. We may ask you to voluntarily provide other types of information about yourself to us, including personal health information. ·
- To unaffiliated third-party service providers, agents or independent contractors who help us maintain the Site and provide other administrative services to us, including, but not limited to, order processing and fulfillment, providing customer service, maintaining and analyzing data, sending customer communications on our behalf, and entry collection, winner selection and prize fulfillment for contests, sweepstakes and other promotions. ·
- To complete a donation. If you choose to make a donation of money through the Site, we may collect from you your credit card number, billing address and other information. We may also provide such information, or other personal information provided by you, to unaffiliated third parties as necessary to complete your donation (for example, to process your credit card). We will not sell your credit card information to any third party vendor without receiving your explicit permission, ·
- To comply with the law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary in order to conform to the requirements of law or comply with legal process served on us, protect and defend our rights or property or act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of our end users. ·
- To third parties as part of any corporate reorganization process including, but not limited to, mergers, acquisitions, or sales of all or substantially all of our assets. ·
- To track and analyze non-identifying and aggregate usage and volume statistical information from our visitors and customers and provide such information to third parties. ·
- To protect against potential fraud. We may verify with third parties the information collected from this Site. In the course of such verification, we may receive personally identifiable information about you from such services. In particular, if you use a credit card or debit card on the Site, we may use card authorization and fraud screening services to verify that your card information and address matches the information that you supplied to us, and that the card has not been reported as lost or stolen. ·
- To handle any physical or other type of threat made to you or others, to protect property or to defend or assert legal rights.
Non-Personally Identifiable Information
Non-personally identifiable information is used in the same ways as personally identifiable information and in other ways as permitted by applicable laws, including combining non-personally identifiable information with personally identifiable information.
User Name and Password
Certain parts of the Site will require you to register and obtain a password in order to enjoy the services offered on the applicable pages of the Site. We also may ask you to create a registration if you attend an offline screening or visit us at a health fair. When you try to access features of the Site that require registration, you will be prompted to input your username and password information. If you forget your password or username, you can click on the "Forgot your password?” link on the login form to obtain your registration information.
Email Communication from Us
When you participate in certain services and activities, you will have the option of signing up to receive emails from us as reminders or notifications. You may also unsubscribe to any emails that you receive from us by clicking the "UNSUBSCRIBE” button at the bottom of the email.
From time to time we may offer services that allow you to tell a friend about our Site. In such instances, we will ask you for your name, your email address and your friend’s email address. We will automatically send your friend a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the Site using your name and/or email address as the "from” email address. We do not use your name, your email address or your friend’s email information and the information you provide using this service for any other purpose. We will only use the information you provide to send the email you request.
Suggestions You Make to Us
Public Areas of the Site
Certain places within the Site, such as online communities, forums, blog pages or other public areas, may allow users to post comments or communications that are publicly accessible and non-confidential. Any information shared, including personally identifiable information and any health information, that you reveal in these public areas is not going to be maintained as private and will be accessible to the public.
We also may allow each user to develop a "profile” page that includes information that is publicly available. The public information on such a profile page may simply include your nickname and your interests or hobbies. The information that can be accessed by the public will be noted as such on the profile submission page. You may modify or delete the publicly accessible information at all times.
Children Under the Age of 13
The Site is not designed or intended for children under the age of 13. We do not collect personally identifiable information from any person we actually know is under the age of 13.
Interactive Tools on the Site
Interactive tools on the Site gather self-reported personal health information. In addition, certain of these tools can store personal health information coming from third party data interchange agreements between us and our partners. We maintain and limit the use of that information to the opt-in permission you have provided at the time you use the tool or when you provide us with such data. We do not provide registered users with downloadable software that collects or uses any personally identifiable information or personal health information.
Information Collected by Third Parties Not Acting on Our Behalf
Links to Third Party Sites
How We Handle Privacy and Security Internally
No data transmissions over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us. You acknowledge that any information that you transfer to us is done at your own risk.
- Require both a personal username (log-in name) and a password in order for users to access their personally identifiable information or personal health information.·
- Use firewalls to protect information held in our servers.·
- Utilize Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption in transmitting personally identifiable information to our servers.
Updating Your Information and Contacting Us
At any time, users may modify or delete their personally identifiable information from the database of the Site. To do so, please contact us at:
The Lipoprotein(a) Foundation
809 Laurel StreetSan Carlos, CA 94070
Tel.: (650) 995-3242
Date of last update: October 25, 2013